The (semi-) Adventurous Life of a Mom, a Wife, a Rider...

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fun Weekend

I had an active and fun weekend. I mentioned that I ride motorcycles as does my husband. We've been riding street bikes for several years but recently acquired a couple of dual sport bikes. For those unfamiliar with the term, it basically means a street legal dirt bike for both on and off road riding.

On Saturday, I participated in my first dual sport group ride. I was quite nervous about riding with this group. One because it's all men who've been riding dual sports for longer than I, and 2 because riding in groups just makes me nervous anyway. I prefer riding alone or with Joe. I will occasionally ride with 3 or 4 more but not too often. This ride was organized to be a "noob" friendly ride, so I figured it was the best opportunity for me to jump in with the group. When I realized it was 30 riders that showed up, my nerves frazzled a bit more. I've really only been dual sporting a couple times since getting the bike and only with Joe, so this was a very new experience.

It turned out that my nervousness was unfounded. Not only did they break the riders up into smaller groups, but the ones I did get to talk to and ride with could not have been nicer or more welcoming. Plus, the pace of my group was perfect for my novice dual sporting skills. My bike and I got a little wet and muddy and I had a lot of fun. The ride ended with a lunch gathering at a place in Middletown, just outside of Frederick, MD, called The Main Cup. They had good food and I enjoyed a very yummy hot chocolate with a mountain of whipped cream on it, which took the chill off from the cool morning. The picture above was taken by the lead rider of our group of me at a ford crossing. Saturday evening was quiet as we rested up for Sunday's event.

My husband was diagnosed with MS in September. It was a whirlwind couple of months that followed, dealing with the new reality of that diagnosis, and probably the subject of a post all unto itself at some point. Suffice it to say for now that things have settled down for the most part, even though the reality of MS will be at least a small part of our daily lives forever. Some days are more challenging than others, but mostly we live the sames lives we did before. Of course, I'm sure my husband has a different perspective, but I think things are going pretty well overall.

Getting back to Sunday.....the Maryland Chapter of the National MS Society held a 5K Walk. They actually held several across the state this past weekend. Joe and I had decided we were going to participate in the Westminster walk awhile ago, so as soon as we were able, we signed up and started soliciting donations. Joe's parents signed on to walk with us and quickly gathered donations as well. It turned out to be a great day. The weather could not have been nicer...low 70's and sunny. There was a great turnout of people, and the food provided for the walkers by a local restaurant was above and beyond! Cameron even walked the first mile before getting cozy in the wagon and being pulled the last 2. We had a good time and raised over $1,500 for MS research.

Of course, I took a 2-hour nap when we got home and my leg muscles are quite sore today. No matter, though, because I'd do it again tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment